I’ve done my fair share of moving over the years, as well as helped countless friends and even my own parents move from house to apartment. So what’s the biggest thing I’ve learned?
There’s no way around it. You can’t hide from it. You can’t ignore it. The stuff will just wait for you…and wait…and wait. That is until you’re neck deep in bubble wrap, clutching grandmother’s china and freaking out because now you have to try to fit round objects into boxes and the moving truck comes tomorrow.
Start the season with a plan.
Sign up for the challenge that will put you in the holiday spirit, stress-free.
My suggestion? Start early. Do a little at a time. Label the boxes—on more than one side. Yes, really.
And—check out these packing hacks that will save you time, money and maybe even a little bit of your sanity.
1. Wrap dishes in clothing
Saves money on bubble wrap AND packs your t-shirts in one swoop.
2. Cover liquids in plastic wrap BEFORE putting the lid on
No spills or goopy messes = genius.
3. Put styrofoam plates in between breakable plates
Cheap and quick!
4. Put screws and small furniture accessories in a plastic bag, taped to that piece of furniture
You’ll be able to put the crib back up, right away.
5. Thread your necklaces through straws
Tangle free and brilliant.
6. Use Press’n Seal to “freeze” dresser drawers
They become their very-own moving boxes.
7. Pack books inside suitcases
Those things get heavy – throw them in a suitcase to make them easier to transport
8. Put pillows and blankets in garbage bags
1) Keeps them relatively clean 2) You can use them as padding between furniture in the moving truck.
9. Pack essentials last
Things like your tool belt, an overnight bag and any toiletries/needs for baby should go into your car last.
10. Label your cords!
A simple piece of duct tape with the name of the corresponding appliance will do, and will save you the headache of trying to match things back up.